Monday, May 16, 2005

Ferry Flyers

The Advance reports on the efforts of the Wal-Mart Free NYC coalition to education Staten Islanders about Wal-Mart:

Besides the alleged detriment to small businesses, the fliers accused Wal-Mart of poor labor practices in regard to health care, discrimination against women and the disabled, and tax evasion.

"I don't think it's a good thing for Staten Island," said Michael Santorella of Port Richmond, who was clutching a flier while waiting for the next boat. "They don't seem to do the right thing, and I don't think I would shop there."

Martha Rohman of West Brighton agreed: "This company has a history of discriminating against its workers, especially women. I would be much happier if they never built it, and I'm glad there are people out here talking about how bad an idea it is."

Hat tip: Shaun Richman