Friday, May 01, 2009

I See Job Loss

The mayor continues to spend campaign cash just like a drunken stockbroker over at Scores. As City Room reports: "A four-week blitz was apparently not enough. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who is seeking re-election to a third term, has bought his fifth straight week of television time for political advertising, according to a person briefed on the plan. Beginning on Saturday, he will introduce a new commercial (his fifth) focused on a plan to create green jobs, this person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the ad was not yet finished."

The question we want answered is what will capture all of the runoff from this verbal saturation? So while the mayor touts -literally-pie in the sky green jobs to appeal to environmentalists, his pollution of the airwaves continues unabated: "The latest Bloomberg TV ad combines the mayor’s relentless emphasis on job creation — the dominant theme of his four previous campaign commercials — with his record on the environment, appealing to progressives and those jittery about the economy. It begins with the image of the mayor perched on the roof of a tall building in Brooklyn, dressed in a dark blue suit and red tie. “What do you see when you look at these rooftops?” he asks. “I see good jobs, installing solar panels and developing new green technologies.”

Next thing you know, Bloomberg will be-in Milli Vanilli fashion-lip synching to the classic R Kelly tune:
"I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe
I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly."

This is all way beyond the Wizard of Oz; and this five borough plan is a pure chimera since his seven year tax, spend, and regulate record has led to bankruptcies and foreclosures on the neighborhood retail strips like we've never seen before. So the mayor's notion of economic development is kinda like a psychotic break-a flight of fantasy that leads to the following: "The ad then cuts to a narrator, who trumpets the mayor’s “five-borough economic opportunity plan” (now a household phrase, willingly or not) to stimulate the economy. “From the streets to the rooftops,” Mr. Bloomberg says, “we’re creating jobs.”

The man behind the curtain needs a couch; this kind of phantasmagoria belongs in a DSM manual, not as part of a multi million dollar effort to bamboozle New Yorkers into believing that pigs can fly.